Friday, April 17, 2009

My Sister's Keeper

Today I was lucky enough to share some laughter with my niece, nephew and sister. On the kids' final day of Spring Break week we went to the movies to see "17 Again." Funny as the movie is, I'm not going to critique the film or give you any inside info. What I am going to tell you is all about a movie trailer that unexpectedly struck a nerve in me. The sound of a familiar little girl's voice hit me as she began to tell the story: "Most babies are accidents. Not me. I was engineered. Born to save my sister's life." It was the voice of little Abigail Breslin (who's not so little anymore), the actress who played Olive Hoover, the endearing child at the center of the 2006 Oscar nominated film "Little Miss Sunshine." "My Sister's Keeper" is the story of a young girl who hires a big time lawyer and sues for emancipation from her parents who genetically conceived her in order to save the life of her sister who is dying from cancer. All I can say is I cannot wait for this one to hit the big screen because I'll be there with baited breath. This movie will drum up controversy around the world, from its story line of a child being conceived as a genetic match for the purposes of the survival of another human being, to a child sueing its parents to be allowed the right to keep charge of its own body. Sadly, there is a deep, underlying secret that little Anna is keeping from her family which seems to be tearing them apart. You'll have to watch to find out. Not only does the trailer tug at your heartstrings but the track playing in the background emphasizes the importance of life and miracles with its passionate lyrics and tender melody. "Life Is Beautiful," a song by British rock band Vega 4 (who sounds exactly like one of my favorite bands, Snow Patrol), brought out the emotionality of the film and lifted my spirit. From the director of "The Notebook," this one's gonna be a real tearjerker so bring along a box of tissues if you decide to see it. And if you do, I'll see you there: June 26, 2009. My Sister's Keeper Trailer Life is Beautiful by Vega 4 (from Grey's Anatomy) Life is beautiful We love until we die. When you run into my arms, We steal a perfect moment. Let the monsters see you smile, Let them see you smiling. Do I hold you too tightly? When will the hurt kick in? Life is beautiful, but it's complicated. We barely make it. We don't need to understand, There are miracles, miracles. Yeah, life is beautiful. Our hearts, they beat and break. When you run away from harm, Will you run back into my arms, Like you did when you were young? Will you come back to me? I will hold you tightly When the hurting kicks in. Life is beautiful, but it's complicated, we barely make it. We don't need to understand, There are miracles, miracles. Stand where you are. We let all these moments pass us by. It's amazing where I'm standing, There's a lot that we can give. This is ours just for a moment. There's a lot that we can give.

1 comment:

  1. No way I'll go see that movie in public in a theater! That book made me cry my eyes out years ago!

    I'll wait for the DVD and sob to myself from the comfort of my sofa ...

    ReplyDelete

Amazon Prime Day 2020 Coming Soon!

Amazon Prime Day 2020 is coming so you better get prepared. Prime Day is Amazon's biggest sale event of the year exclusive to Prime memb...