Monday, April 13, 2009

The Task of Looking for a Job in a Recession


This week marks a month and a half since I moved back from LA and have been on the hunt for a job. This has been no easy task to complete considering the economy has done nothing but spiral down from the time I arrived. I believe we are not in a recession but in a depression. More and more people that I know have been laid off from their jobs, are losing their homes and feeling hopeless. I DO NOT feel hopeless. I feel empowered to do something drastic to change my situation.

Prior to moving back to SJ, my sister was laid off from her job as an Executive Assistant. It's now been three months of no work for her. Just after I returned, my father was laid off from his job as a Director of Sales for a high-tech start up. It's now been a month of no work. Last week, at my niece's birthday party, I got to see some old friends from high school who are now married with kids. The wife was laid off from her job and the husband has been given fair warning that he doesn't have much longer left before his job comes to an end. These are all huge signs of a major downturn. 

After much brainstorming over ideas on how to gain media attention and hopefully get a job (stand outside at a major intersection during rush hour traffic holding a giant sign with my resume, same idea only with the huge arrow you see directing people to view new homes or hit the local Quiznos, or maybe I should write a press release - I was a publicist - about how 75% of one nuclear family has been hit by unemployment). True, I didn't get laid off. Leaving my two part time jobs in Santa Monica was 100% my choice but I really didn't have much of a choice since I couldn't realistically continue to pay my bills without incurring more debt. Sound like a good option to you? Me neither!

Ever get an e-mail calling you to action regarding a protest or encouraging you to sign a petition? I believe it's time to put together an e-mail rounding the troops of unemployeds and gathering on a local street corner in your city to protest this economy. Are you in? I think it's about time we start a revolution. I'm an able-bodied citizen willing and wanting to work. I have a life to live. I want to earn money so I can pay my bills and get out there in the world and travel. How about you? What's your plan? Let's do this!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Amazon Prime Day 2020 Coming Soon!

Amazon Prime Day 2020 is coming so you better get prepared. Prime Day is Amazon's biggest sale event of the year exclusive to Prime memb...