Thursday, April 16, 2009

Singer Turned Soldier: Marcos Hernandez Joins the Marines

Several months ago while I was tooling around on Facebook as I often do, I noticed a status update from a dear friend, Marcos Hernandez, which struck me as odd. The update read: "Marcos Hernandez is hoping his 'friends' will let him know how they think B4 he goes off to basic training for the Marines." What? The Marines? This has got to be a joke. I genuinely believe it is so I continue on and never question him. A month or so later, I get a phone call from him telling me he's giving up his career and heading off to boot camp. This might sound fairly normal to you, especially in light of the quick demise of the economy resulting in people doing all sorts of drastic things in order to have a stable income, but in fact it's totally out of character for him. 


You see, Marcos Hernandez is a 27-year-old singer from Dallas, Texas, who became quite the phenomenon on radio across the country when his debut song "If You Were Mine" hit the charts in 2005. You might know the track from stations like Wild 94.9 in the Bay Area or KISS 106.1 in Dallas, among others. The song, by the way, was co-produced by my friend Eliot Sloan, lead singer for the alternative rock band Blessid Union of Souls. If the name sounds familiar it's because the band's single "I Believe" charted at #8 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1995. But back to Marcos... 


Now, not only was I in shock that he was giving up his musical career but also in a state of dismay that he was making a conscious choice to sign up for the military and volunteer himself to be sent into extreme danger should he be stationed in the Middle East. What is going on here? I'm super angry that someone with such promise is giving up his life as he knows it to follow his belief in protecting our country. Don't get me wrong. It's not to say that I feel that the men and women in the military don't have promise. It is exactly the opposite. They are so young and have so much life to live but so many aren't even making it out or back to their families. In Marcos' case, I am particularly disgusted with the fact that the state of the economy has declined so much in the last year that a talented musician who had every reason to believe his music would continue to climb the charts if given the chance, would lose faith in the system and walk away from it all for the security of a future in the Marines. Even though Marcos has only been at boot camp for a few weeks and is not currently in any immediate danger, I pray everyday that he doesn't get sent overseas. Please dear God, keep him safe during his service in the military and bring him home safely, no matter where he ends up. 


I want to be clear: I support the troops 100%. I believe that what they are doing is honorable and brave and I am proud of my friend for making such a difficult and selfless decision. God bless you Marcos, and those who have chosen the same path as you. 


For more info on Marcos: http://www.marcosonline.com Marcos Hernandez If You Were Mine

4 comments:

  1. Marcos is an American hero, a true patriot. Right now it's real hard to see anything positive about what's happening in our United States, and Marcos' actions tell me there's hope for this nation. How hard it is to do anything in today's military with our current commander-in-chief, the community organizer who never did anything on his own without the help of affirmative action and his puppet-string holders!

    Marcos, be smart, take all you can from the military, and hurry home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcos Hernandez was/is my alll time favourite singer, and I hope all goes well =( in the marines. Does anyone know when he is getting back??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marcos Hernandez was/is my alll time favourite singer and I hope all goes well for him in the marines =(.. Does anyone know when he is getting back??

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a little late commenting on this, but I just wanted to share my surprise about this...which I first read about on his MySpace blog. Do you think it was more the economic reasons, or just wanting to do something more meaningful? Because, he mentioned in his blog that he was very frustrated having to record music that was not representative of himself as an artist (and I don't think that he got to record much of his own material). He also noted that he had become the type of person that he never meant to be and that his friends didn't recognize!

    In any case, I will say that Marcos is a rarity these days in the music business in the "total package" that he has: good looks, solid vocal abilities, adept writing skills, and charisma. I hope at some point he'll consider making some more music for the fans, even if it's not the R&B/top-40 style that he became popular with.

    ReplyDelete

Amazon Prime Day 2020 Coming Soon!

Amazon Prime Day 2020 is coming so you better get prepared. Prime Day is Amazon's biggest sale event of the year exclusive to Prime memb...