Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Kenny Lipska... A Soul Lost Too Soon




I received the news yesterday that one of my closest friends from high school was on life support after being diagnosed with spinal meningitis.  It all happened so quickly and now he's laying in a hospital bed on life support waiting to be sent home to God.

Kenny and I became friends through my high school sweetheart and we quickly forged a bond.  His family lived on the same street as so many of the kids we went to school with and he had tons of friends.  All the girls liked him.  He was cute and sweet and funny and kind... and so much more.  He was my friend.

On summer nights we would all sit out in the street listening to music, telling stories, laughing and talking.  When I was sad, Kenny would put his arm around me and let me cry on his shoulder.  When I was happy, he would laugh with me.  When I just needed a friend, he would wrap his arms around me and hold me.

I have so many fond memories of him that I hold dear to my heart.  One summer night, we were all hanging out with his family on his front lawn.  They were a close-knit, religious bunch (he has two sisters).  We were laying down on the lawn cuddled up in a blanket, looking up at the stars.  I never used to show affection like that but he made me comfortable.  He loved me for me.

Kenny is the (only) reason I fell in love with country music.  He and his neighbor Matt got me listening to, don't laugh... Billy Ray Cyrus.  I never would have imagined myself listening to anything with a twang.  If it weren't for Kenny playing "Achy Breaky Heart" I might not have ever opened my heart and mind to country.

On summer days, the gang would all drive out to the local reservoir and the boys would go on the rope swings.  They would climb down the steep hill, grab the ropes hanging from the trees and literally hoist themselves up and into the water.  My best friend Renee and I never did.  I had an immense fear of the dirty green water but we would sit back and watch the boys.  Kenny loved the rope swings.

I haven't spoken to Kenny since high school though I did look for him on Facebook a couple of years ago with no results.  Last summer I connected with an old friend (who was one of the gang that would hang out on that street together) and he is the person who shared this devastating news with me.  I feel sad that I missed out on the last years of Kenny's life.  I'm told that he was very happily married with two beautiful boys.  I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that he is gone.  I am beyond devastated that this wonderful friend and good-hearted man has passed away so early in life.  He will be missed by so many.  I can't even begin to imagine how much this has rocked his family's world.  Words cannot express the devastation.

Kenny Lipska, may you rest in peace.  God bless you and your entire family.

*If you have any memories to share about Kenny feel free to respond with a comment.

***Afterthought:  Feeling sad, I just took a drive through the old neighborhood and relived many of the memories.  As I was turning onto the street, Lady Antebellum's song, "Need You Now" came on the radio.   How ironic that a country song would play at the exact moment I was driving on Kenny's old street (I was not listening to country radio).  So sad.

11 comments:

  1. I grew up close to that street...a lot of those guys on that circle/street were either close friends with me and/or my brother. Jeremy, Jay, Dave, Tyler, George, Tom, Kenny...all part of that huge group of guys that shared tons of 12 packs every other night....mainly at my dad's house. All partied together. Last time I saw Kenny...I ran into him at an Elephant Bar in Sac somewhere...he was just moving to that area or something like that. That was years ago. He was always a really nice guy. I was never really close with him but knew him well through other friends...was always into his car...while other people were bumping rap driving down the street....he was bumping country. LOL. He's a good guy...this totally sucks. Huge loss...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew Kenny from working in the Bar business 15 years ago. He is the most genuine, kind person I know and he will be very much missed. He made a positive impact in every life he touched.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just stunningly sad news. Its been such a long time since I had correspondence with him.. But the times I do remember of Kenny were always fond. I as well grew up on the same street as Kenny.. We hanged out more as kids in elementary-junior high years vs the high school years.. I remember always playing either soccer or "touch" football--more like tackle football on the residential streets with him an other kids on the street. He was such a competitor at sports, and that only fueled me to be just as competitive. He however always had the skillz to back it up though :) ... Always something I like about him, he didn't care if I couldn't match up to him in the skillz dept, just as long as we played competively and had fun doing it was all that mattered. Those days spent playing sports taught me a great deal about team cohesiveness, bringing the competitive fire all the time, and to always enjoy it... Later on in the high school years; as he got into football-- he got me into the working out with weights and etc...

    Again, I had heard of his later days of becoming a great father, husband and lover of the great outdoors --specifically finding great places to fish-- What a wonderful way to have lived in his adult years...
    RIP my friend,
    Sincerly,
    Matthew (aka Matt)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your stories. I really am enjoying hearing all your memories of Kenny. He was such a special person, a rare breed. Matt: If you're reading this, is this Matt G (don't want to put your full name out there). I remember you because it was you & Kenny who got me into country music. WOW, I am so saddened by this loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up with Kenny on Thistle & went to school with him from elementary to highschool. I will always remember him for his warm genuine smile and his positive attitude. He was everyones friend and treated all with kindness and respect. He was an amazing human being and will be deeply missed by so many. I have been blessed to have him in my life he will always be a part of my memories. xoxo-Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer Houston-MullinsMarch 17, 2010 at 5:37 PM

    I have not seen Kenny since high school, but I have never forgotten him. He was truly a great guy. We had a lot of fun times together in junior high and high school. He was my favorite boy freshmen year :) I just came across a picture of the two of us the other day. We went to the Sadie Hawkins dance together and we were wearing silly black B.U.M. sweatshirts. I remember thinking how great he was and wondering what he was up to these days. I was shocked to hear the news today and am deeply saddened. I am so happy that he was part of my life. I will always remember him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG Kenny my bro, RIP, you will be missed by so many and thanks for all the great memories and laughs, pulling the good out of people. We have had many many great times at the almaden rd ropeswing, jumping off 85 bridge, parties, bumpin your 15 in subwoofers to country and metallica. LOL..I am lucky to have visited a couple years back in Georgetown and in 03 in Rocklin. Kenny, his wife, kids and three huge dogs were in this amazing rural cabin tucked away in the redwoods far off the beaten path. We shared a couple beers,smokes and many many laughs of good ole times. He was happy with his family and a very proud father. He was a humble man and he has rubbed off on so many of those close to him.

    RIP Kenny!

    Marty G

    ReplyDelete
  8. RIP KENNY YOU WILL BE MISSED DEARLY. ITS ALWAYS SAD TO SEE SOMEONE YOU KNEW FROM YOUR CHILDHOOD PASS AWAY.. ECSPECIALLY IF YOU HAVENT SEEN THEN FOR A LONG TIME..... FLY WITH THE ANGELS KENNY, YOU WILL BE IN OUR THOUGHTS,PRAYERS AND MEMORIES FOR THE REST OF OUR LIVES.........
    ANTHONY MARTIN

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully writen.. Go to YouKenHelp.com, it a tribute site for Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so upset I just heard. I wish I would of know sooner. I use to manage the Elephant Bar when Kenny & Shawna both worked there. Even went to their wedding. They loved eachother so much. I feel numb and deeply sadden. You will be incredibly missed Kenny. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Muzik Girl,

    I am kenny's Dad, Dennis. I remember your face from the picture but I don't remember your name. One of Kennys cousins is putting together a Memories Book for Kennys boys and I would like to have your post included. Please leave me a message on Facebook with your name so I can have it included.

    Thank You,
    Dennis Lipska

    ReplyDelete

Amazon Prime Day 2020 Coming Soon!

Amazon Prime Day 2020 is coming so you better get prepared. Prime Day is Amazon's biggest sale event of the year exclusive to Prime memb...